Powers, functions and duties of Authorities.
The constitution, powers, functions and duties of the authorities of the university, not laid down under any of the provisions of this Act shall be as prescribed by the Statutes
Term of office of members of authority.
- The term of every authority constituted under this Act shall commence on 1st September and shall be of five years from the said date and the term of the members of every authority shall expire on the expiry of the said period of five years, irrespective of the date on which a member has entered upon his office.< /li>
- The process of election, nomination and co-option shall be commenced at least three months before expiry of the term of the authority and shall be completed not later than 30th November in that year.
Cessation of membership
- Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act or the Statutes made there under, where a person, elected, nominated, appointed or co-opted, as the case may be, as an officer of university or a member of any of the authority or bodies of the university by virtue of his being eligible to be so elected, nominated, appointed or co-opted as such an officer or a member under any of the categories of officers or members specified by or under the relevant provisions of this Act in relation to such office, authority or body, he shall cease to be such an officer of the university or a member of such an authority or a body as soon as he ceases to belong to such category and shall be deemed to have vacated his office as such officer or member
Disqualification for membership of authority
A person shall be disqualified for being a member of any of the authorities, bodies and committee of university and voting to the authorities, bodies and committees, if he-
(a) is of unsound mind and stands so declared by a competent court; or
(b) is an undischarged insolvent; or
(c) has been convicted of any offence involving moral turpitude; or
(d) is conducting or engaging himself in private tuitions or private coaching classes; or
(e) has been punished for indulging in or promoting unfair practices in the conduct of any examination and evaluation, in any form, anywhere; or
(f) has willfully omitted or refused to carry out the provisions of this Act, Statutes or Ordinances, or has acted in any manner detrimental to the interests of the university; or
(g) has been punished in any form, by the competent authority for commit- ting a misconduct; or
(h) discloses or causes to disclose to the public, in any manner whatsoever, any confidential matter, in relation to the examination and evaluation, the knowl- edge of which he has come to be in possession, due to his official position:
Provided that, the right of voting of the person in respect of clauses (e) and (g) shall remain suspended during the term of punishment under the said clauses.
Ineligibility for second consecutive term.
- No person shall be a member of Management Council or Chairman of Board of Studies, for a second consecutive term whether, as an elected, nominated or co-opted member, as the case may be:
- Provided that, any person who was the member of the Management Council of the university or Chairman of the Board of Studies, for the first time whether as elected, nominated or co-opted member, as the case may be, on the date of commencement of this Act, shall not be deemed to have enjoyed the consecutive term if he is nominated or elected or co-opted for the first time after the commencement of this Act.
Conclusiveness of decision of authority.
- Save as otherwise provided by or under the provisions of this Act, each authority of the university while acting and exercising its powers and discharging functions or duties assigned to it by or under the provisions of this Act, shall have the exclusive jurisdiction to deal with and decide the matters assigned to it and discharging functions or duties assigned to it by or under the provisions of this Act.
Election to be by proportional representation.
- Every election to any authority or body of the university under this Act, except the elections to the post referred in clauses (a) to (e) of sub-section (2) and clauses (a) to (e) of sub-section (3) of section 99, shall be held by ballot in accordance with the system of proportional representation by means of the single transferable vote and as prescribed by the Statutes.
- The other details relating to elections not specified in the Act shall be as prescribed by the Statutes.
Resignation of membership.
- A member, other than an ex-officio member, may resign by writing under his signature. A nominee of the Chancellor may resign by addressing to the Chancellor, and any other member may resign by addressing to the Vice-Chancellor. The person shall cease to be a member upon his resignation being accepted by the Chancellor or the Vice-Chancellor, as the case may be, or upon expiry of thirty days from the date of resignation, whichever is earlier.
- If a person nominated, elected, appointed or co-opted to any authority or body remains absent without prior permission of the authority or body for three consecutive meetings, he shall be deemed to have vacated his membership and he shall cease to be a member from the date of the third such meeting in which he has remained absent:< /li>
- Provided that, such member should have attended at least one meeting in the previous year.
Meeting of authorities.
- (Save as otherwise provided by this Act, all matters with regard to the conduct of meetings of the authorities, bodies or committees, if any, constituted by the university, shall be such as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
- A meeting of an authority or body shall be convened on the date determined by the Chairperson by a notice issued by its Secretary.
- Except as otherwise provided, the quorum for a meeting shall ordinarily be one-third of the number of the sitting members. If there is no quorum, the meeting shall be adjourned by the Chairperson to a specific time on the same day, or on a later date and no quorum shall be necessary for such adjourned meeting. No quorum shall be necessary on the following day of the continued meeting.
- Where no provision is made by or under the Statutes for a President or Chairperson to preside over a meeting of any authority or body of the university or when the President or the Chairperson so provided for is absent and no provision is made for any other person to preside, the members present shall elect a person from amongst themselves to preside at the meeting
- Save as otherwise provided, all items, questions, matters or proposals on the agenda shall be decided by a majority of votes of members present. The Chairperson shall have a vote. In case of equality of votes, the Chairperson shall have the casting vote. The secretary, if not a member, shall have the right to participate in the deliberations but shall not have the right to vote.
Casual vacancy and Standing Committee to fill vacancies.
- When any vacancy occurs in the office of a member, other than an ex-officio member or, a member nominated by the Chancellor, of any authority or other body of the university except Management Council before the expiry of his normal term, the vacancy shall be filled by nomination of a person by the Standing Committee constituted under sub-section (3) who is otherwise eligible to be elected on the said authority or body from the same category.
- In case, any vacancy occurs in the office of a member, other than an ex-officio member of Management Council of the university, it shall be filled as soon as possible, by nomination or election or co-option, as the case may be, of a person by the authority, body or the officer concerned. The person so nominated, elected or co-opted shall be a person who is otherwise eligible to be nominated, elected or co-opted on the said authority or body from the same category. The person so nominated, elected or co-opted shall hold office only so long as the member in whose place he has been nominated, elected or co-opted shall have held it, if the vacancy had not occurred.
- The constitution of the Standing Committee for filling in the vacancies mentioned in sub-section (1) shall be as follows, namely :- (a) Pro-Vice-Chancellor - Chairman;
(b) Chancellor's nominee on Management Council;
(c) one dean nominated by Management Council;
(d) one elected member of the Management Council nominated by that Council; (e)one principal nominated by Senate from amongst its members;
(f) one teacher nominated by Senate from amongst its members; (g)one graduate nominated by Senate from amongst its members; (h)Registrar - Member-Secretary.
- The term of the Standing Committee shall commence on 1st September and shall be of five years from the said date. The term of the members shall expire on the expiry of the said period of five years, irrespective of the date on which a member has entered upon his office.