The Governor’s Secretariat is headed by the Secretary to the Governor who is assisted by a team of officers and staff as per details available under the head organization. The Governor’s Secretariat includes the Secretariat and Household establishments.
The Governor’s Secretariat is located at:
Walkeshwar Road, Malabar Hill
Mumbai – 400 035.
Telephone: 91-22-2363 2343
Fax: 91-22-2363 3272 /
Powers and Duties
(1) The Governor of Maharashtra shall be the Chancellor of every university and the Chancellor, by virtue of his office, shall be the Head of the university.
(2) The Chancellor, when present, shall preside over the Convocation of the university and may issue directions to the Vice-Chancellor to convene the meeting of any authority of the university for specific purposes, whenever necessary, and the Vice-Chancellor shall submit the minutes of such meeting to the Chancellor for his perusal.
(3) The Chancellor,—
(a) shall, on receiving a reference from the State Government under the proviso to sub-section (7) of section 8 in such matter; or
(b) may, in any matter suo motu or otherwise,
call for a report or an explanation or such information and record relating to such matter or any matter or affairs of the university, and shall, after considering such report or explanation, or information or record, issue such directions there- upon as may be deemed fit in the interest of the university or student or larger interest of the public, and his directions shall be final and shall be complied with by the university forthwith.
(4) The Chancellor may, after taking report in writing from the Vice- Chancellor, suspend or modify any resolution, order or proceeding of any authority, body, committee or officer which, in his opinion, is not in conformity with this Act, Statutes, Ordinances or Regulations made thereunder, or is not in the interest of the university and the university, authority, body, committee and officer, shall comply with the same:
Provided that, before making any such order, the Chancellor shall call upon the university, authority, body, committee or, as the case may be, officer to show cause why such an order should not be made, and if any cause is shown, within the time fixed by the Chancellor, he shall consider the same and wherever he deems it nec- essary, after consulting the State Government, decide the action to be taken in the matter, and his decision shall be final.
(5) Where, in the opinion of the Chancellor, the conduct of any elected or nominated or appointed or co-opted member is detrimental to the smooth functioning of university or any authority or body or committee, he may, after giving such member an opportunity to offer his explanation in writing and after considering such explanation, if any, and satisfying himself that it is necessary so to do, disqualify such member or suspend him for such period, as he may deem fit.
(6) The Chancellor shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be conferred upon or vested in him by or under this Act.