Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University
Maharashtra State, India.
Telephone: (office) (0240)-2403223
Powers and Duties
(1) The Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall be the academic and executive officer next to the Vice-Chancellor having purview of the entire university.
(2) The Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall be a person who has held the post of professor, or principal of a college or an institution with not less than fifteen years teaching or research experience.
(3) The Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall be the Chairperson of the Board of Deans, Board of Sub-campuses, Board of University Departments and Inter-Disciplinary Studies, Board of Post-Graduate Education in Colleges; and an ex-officio Chairperson of the Research and Recognition Committee.
(4) The Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall be a full time salaried officer of the university and shall work directly under the superintendence, direction and control of the Vice- Chancellor.
(5) Save as otherwise provided, pay and allowances admissible to him as well as the terms and conditions of his service shall be such as may be determined by the State Government, from time to time.
(6) The Chancellor shall, in consultation with the Vice-Chancellor, appoint a Pro- Vice-Chancellor for the university.
(7) The term of Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall be co-terminus with the term of office of the Vice-Chancellor or till he attains the age of sixty-five years, whichever is earlier.
(8) The provisions of sub-section (11) of section 11 shall, in regard to the conditions of service of Pro-Vice-Chancellor, mutadis-mutandis, apply.
(9) The Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall act as the chairperson of the authorities, bodies and committees, in the absence of the Vice-Chancellor.
(10) When the office of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor falls vacant or when the Pro-Vice-Chancellor is, by reason of illness or absence or any other cause, unable to perform the duties of his office, the Vice-Chancellor, may appoint a suitable person qualified to be appointed as Pro-Vice-Chancellor to officiate as Pro-Vice- Chancellor, till the Pro-Vice-Chancellor resumes office, or a new Pro-Vice-Chancellor assumes duty, as the case may be.
(11) The Pro-Vice-Chancellor may, by writing under his signature addressed to the Vice-Chancellor, after giving one month's notice resign from his office and shall cease to hold his office on the acceptance of his resignation by the Vice- Chancellor or from the date of expiry of the said notice period, whichever is earlier.
(12) The Pro-Vice-Chancellor may be removed from his office by the Chancellor on the recommendation of the Vice-Chancellor, if he is satisfied that the incumbent,—
(a) has become insane and stands so declared by a competent court; or
(b) has been convicted by a court for any offence involving moral turpitude; or
(c) has become an undischarged insolvent and stands so declared by a competent court; or
(d) has been physically unfit and incapable of discharging functions due to protracted illness or physical disability; or
(e) has willfully omitted or refused to carry out the provisions of this Act or has committed breach of any of the terms and conditions of service or any other conditions, prescribed by the State Government under sub-section (5) or has abused the powers vested in him or if, the continuance of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor in the office is detrimental to the interests of the university; or
(f) is a member of, or is otherwise associated with, any political party or any organization which takes part in politics, or is taking part in, or subscribing in aid of, any political movement or activity.
For the purposes of this clause, whether any party is a political party, or whether any organization takes part in politics or whether any movement or activity falls within the scope of this clause, the decision of the Vice-Chancellor thereon shall be final : Provided that, the Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall be given a reasonable opportunity to show cause by the Vice-Chancellor before taking recourse for his removal under clauses (d), (e) and (f).
(13) The Pro-Vice-Chancellor shall,—
(a) be the principal academic planning and academic audit officer for the academic development programmes, including post-graduate teaching, research and extension programmes and collaborative programmes of the university;
(b) ensure that quality in education and central academic services is maintained by the university;
(c) be responsible for fostering intellectual interaction across the university and for ensuring that there is research and development and industry linkages;
(d) ensure that the long-term and short-term development plans of the university and its colleges in their academic programmes are duly processed and implemented through relevant authorities, bodies, committees and officers;
(e) monitor appointment of principals and teachers of affiliated colleges and institutions, autonomous colleges and institutions, empowered autonomous colleges, cluster of institutions and recognized institutions or post-graduate centers;
(f) accord approval to the appointments of principals and teachers of affiliated colleges and institutions, autonomous colleges and institutions, empowered autonomous colleges, cluster of institutions and recognized institutions or withdraw the same in accordance with the procedure as prescribed in the Ordinances;
(g) accord approvals to selection committees for appointment of teachers in the colleges as per the norms of the University Grants Commission and the State Government;
(h) recommend proposals to the Management Council for the establishment of conducted colleges, schools, departments, institutions of higher learning, research and specialized studies, knowledge resource centre, academic services units, libraries, laboratories and museums in the university;
(i) consider and recommend proposals to the Management Council for creation of the posts of directors, principals, university teachers, non-vacation academic staff, non-teaching employees and other posts required by the university, from the funds of the university and from the funds received from other funding agencies, and qualifications, experience and pay-scales for such posts;
(j) be the principal liaison officer with the external funding agencies for gener- ating funds for the collaborative and development programmes of the university and monitor their proper utilization;
(k) be responsible for preparation of the comprehensive perspective plan, an- nual plan, and undertaking the systematic field survey within geographical juris- diction under section 107;
(l) be responsible for establishing liaison for fostering and promoting collabora- tion between the university, colleges and national and international institutions and scientific, industrial and commercial organizations;
(m) be responsible for submission of an annual report on the progress achieved in different developmental and collaborative programmes to the Vice- Chancellor who shall place the same before the Management Council;
(n) exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as prescribed under this Act or assigned to him, from time to time, by the Vice-Chancellor