Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University
Maharashtra State, India.
Telephone: (office) (0240)-2403111,112 Mobile No. +91 9049483914
(Click here to Know More..)
Powers and Duties
(1) The Vice-Chancellor shall be the principal academic and executive officer of the university responsible for the development of academic programmes of the university. He shall oversee and monitor the administration of the academic programmes and general administration of the university to ensure efficiency and good order of the university.
(2) He shall be entitled to be present, with the right to speak, at any meeting of any other authority or body or committee of the university, but shall not be entitled to vote thereat, unless he is the Chairperson or member of that authority or body.
(3) The Vice-Chancellor shall have the power to convene meetings of any of the authorities, bodies or committees, as and when he considers it necessary to do so.
(4) The Vice-Chancellor shall ensure that directions issued by the Chancellor are strictly complied with or, as the case may be, implemented.
(5) It shall be the duty of the Vice-Chancellor to ensure that the directives of the State Government, if any, and the provisions of this Act, Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations are strictly observed and that the decisions of the authorities, bodies and committees which are not inconsistent with this Act, Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations are properly implemented.
(6) The Vice-Chancellor may defer implementation of a decision taken or a resolution passed by any authority, body or committee of the university if, he is of the opinion that the same is not consistent with the directives of the State Govern- ment or with the provisions of the Act, Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations or that such decision or resolution is not in the interest of the university and at the earliest opportunity refer it back to the authority, body or committee concerned for reconsideration in its next meeting with reasons to be recorded in writing. If differences persist, he shall within a week, giving reasons submit it to the Chancel- lor for decision and inform about having done so to the members of the authority, body or committee concerned. After receipt of the decision of the Chancellor, the Vice-Chancellor shall take action as directed by the Chancellor and inform the authority, body or committee concerned, accordingly.
(7) If there are reasonable grounds for the Vice-Chancellor to believe that there is an emergency which requires immediate action to be taken, or if any action is required to be taken in the interest of the university, he shall take such action, as he thinks necessary, and shall at the earliest opportunity, report in writing the grounds for his belief that there was an emergency, and the action taken by him, to such authority or body as shall, in the ordinary course, have dealt with the matter. In the event of a difference arising between the Vice-Chancellor and the authority or body whether there was in fact an emergency, or on the action taken where such action does not affect any person in the service of the University, or on both, the matter shall be referred to the Chancellor whose decision shall be final : Provided that, where any such action taken by the Vice-Chancellor affects any person in the service of the university, such person shall be entitled to prefer, within thirty days from the date on which he receives notice of such action, an appeal to the Management Council.
For purposes of this sub-section, action taken by the Vice- Chancellor shall not include disciplinary action taken against any employee of the university.
(8) Where any matter is required to be regulated by the Statutes, Ordinances or Regulations, but no Statutes, Ordinances or Regulations are made in that behalf or where there is an exigency to amend Statutes, Ordinances or Regulations, the Vice- Chancellor may, for the time being, regulate the matter by issuing such directions as he thinks necessary, and shall, at the earliest opportunity thereafter, place them before the Management Council or other authority or body concerned for approval. He shall, at the same time, place before such authority or body for consideration the draft of the Statutes, Ordinances or Regulations, as the case may be, required to be made in that behalf:
Provided that, such direction shall have to be converted into Statute, Ordinance or Regulations as the case may be, within six months of issuing of such direction failing which such direction shall automatically lapse.
(9) The Vice-Chancellor shall be the appointing and disciplinary authority for the university teachers.
(10) The Vice-Chancellor shall be the appointing and disciplinary authority for officers of the university of the rank of Assistant Registrar and of the rank equiva- lent thereto and above.
(11) As the Chairperson of the authorities or bodies or committees of the university, the Vice-Chancellor shall be empowered to suspend member from the meeting of the authority, body or committee for persisting to obstruct or stall the proceedings or for indulging in behaviour unbecoming of a member, and shall report the matter accordingly, to the Chancellor.
(12) The Vice-Chancellor shall place before the Management Council a report of the work of the university periodically as provided under the Ordinances.
(13) The Vice-Chancellor shall have the power to,-
(a) accord recognition to institutions of higher learning, research specialized studies in accordance with the provisions of this Act;
(b) accord recognition to autonomous colleges, empowered autonomous colleges or cluster of institutions and empowered skills development colleges in accordance with the provisions of this Act;
(c) accord recognition to private skills education providers in accordance with the provisions of this Act
(d) accord recognition as qualified teachers to the experts from the field of application oriented industries or companies and domain specific experts in various professional skills, working as training experts in private skills education providers and empowered skills development colleges.
(e) approve the recommended panel of referees for thesis or dissertations for awarding post-graduate, doctorate and higher degrees.
(14) (a) The Vice-Chancellor shall have right to cause inspection to be made by the Pro-Vice-Chancellor or such person or persons or body of persons as he may direct, of the university, its buildings, laboratories, libraries, museums, workshops and equipment and of affiliated, conducted or autonomous college, empowered autonomous colleges or cluster of institutions, recognized or autonomous institutions, empowered skills development colleges or private skills education provider, hall or hostel maintained or recognized by the university, and of the examinations, teachings and other work conducted by or on behalf of the university, and to cause an inquiry to be made in a like manner regarding any matter connected with the administration or finance of the university, affiliated, conducted or community or autonomous college, empowered autonomous colleges or cluster of institutions, recognized or autonomous institutions, empowered skills development colleges or private skills education provider:
Provided that, the Vice-Chancellor shall, in the case of affiliated or autonomous college, empowered autonomous colleges or cluster of institutions, recognized or autonomous institutions, empowered skills development colleges or private skills education provider, give notice to the management of such affiliated or autonomous college, empowered autonomous colleges or cluster of institutions, recognized or autonomous institutions, empowered skills development colleges or private skills education provider of his intention to cause an inspection or an inquiry to be so made:
Provided further that, the management shall have the right to make such representation to the Vice-Chancellor as it thinks necessary before such inspection or inquiry is made;
(b) after considering such representation, if any, the Vice-Chancellor may cause such inspection or inquiry to be made or may drop the same;
(c) in the case of management when an inspection or inquiry has been caused to be made, the management, shall be entitled to appoint a representative, who shall have the right to be present and be heard at such inspection or inquiry;
(d) the Vice-Chancellor may, if the inspection or inquiry is made regarding any college or institution admitted to the privileges of the university, communicate to the management the result of such inspection or inquiry;
(e) the management shall communicate to the Vice-Chancellor such action, if any, as it proposes to take or has been taken by it;
(f) where the management, does not, within the time fixed by the Vice- Chancellor, take action to his satisfaction, the Vice-Chancellor shall be competent to impose a fine upon the management and direct the management to stop the fresh admissions to the colleges or institutions or to decide any other action to be taken in this behalf and the same shall be communicated to the management concerned for compliance.
(15) The Vice-Chancellor shall forward to the State Government report on the recommendation of the Management Council, regarding the temporary alternative arrangements, in the interest of students, to run the day to day academic and administrative activities, of the management of an affiliated college, institution or autonomous college or empowered autonomous college or cluster of institutions in case of dispute regarding the management of the affiliated college and where irregularities or commissions or omissions of criminal nature by the management of such college or institution or mismanagement of such college or institutions are, prima facie, evident to committee of inquiry appointed by the university and to make the necessary arrangements to run the day to day academic and administrative activities of such college till the dispute is statutorily resolved. The decision of the State Government in this behalf shall be final and binding.
(16) The Vice-Chancellor shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be conferred upon him by or under this Act.